Tuesday 21 October 2008

Time to update my blog me thinks

Well I`m here! JAPAN. It`s been 2 weeks and fabulous. I have been keeping a journal of all the stuff that`s been going on and now that I`m at a computer that actually works it`s time to write it up.

Here goes...

DAY ONE

Left England on the 7th October and travelled for many hours before reaching Narita airport in Japan on the morning of 8th October. Had some sleep on the plane, but not much as the woman sat behind me may have missed the point of a `touch` screen tv that was in the back of my seat. The operative word of the device being `touch` and not `point-as-hard-as-you-can`.

Anyway, on landing at the airport in Japan I got the directions to Ibekukuro where my first hostel was. 2 trains later I was in Ibekukuro (with a little help from a Japanese man on the 1st train who spoke English very well and turned out he was on the same flight from the UK as me too!). He got the same 2nd train as me aswell and told me which stop to get off for Ibekukuro. Found the hostel quite easily as had written down very detailed directions just in case. So off I was, all alone in Japan, assuming it was gonna be easy and that everyone spoke English. It wasn`t long before I found out that they don`t.

I had booked a 6 bed female dorm room for my 1st few nights. After checking in I made my way to the room. The other 5 girls in the room were all Japanese and spoke no English. Ok I thought, this is fine and went for a walk. Japanese people everywhere! I am not sure quite what I expected in Japan, but I pressumed I would meet some other travellers or at least be able to speak to some people at the hostel but I guess not. Had a walk around Ibekukuro (which I can`t pronounce) and there were no tourists anywhere (well I didn`t see any anyway). Not a single one! I was walking around in my own little world where I spoke no Japanese (looking back I should have at least learnt a little) and no one around me spoke any English. It was surreal, but really cool at the same time

No comments: